auto-detecting krb versions for build

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Sat Mar 1 17:31:26 GMT 2003

As some of you may have noticed, the UL builds on the farm don't work.  The
culprit is the pre- 0.5 heimdal that is installed, as it doesn't have
AP_OPTS_USE_SUBKEY, which is needed to do password changes.  Unless someone
knows how to accomplish password changes to a win KDC without it, we need
to be able to detect the package and release of kerberos installed.
Heimdal before 0.5 doesn't have it.  I'm not sure how far you have to go
back in MIT to not find it.

krb5-config takes a --version option and prints something like:
heimdal 0.4d
$Id: krb5-config.in,v 1.8 2001/01/29 06:56:51 assar Exp $

or in the case of MIT:
Kerberos 5 release 0.0.0

Yes, 0.0.0, but I'm using a dev version.   In any case, I'd like to take
that output, and if it has "heimdal", make a decision based on the
number...since I'm not a wiz (more like a whiz) at these sorts of string
cutting/comparing in shells...anyone want to tell me how to do it?

----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center
Samba Team