Getting OpenLDAP to auth users against sambaNTPassword

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu Jun 19 09:01:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 10:46, Howard Chu wrote:
> This attitude strikes me as odd. You're unhappy about a password stored in
> cleartext in a secure database file of your server, but you're perfectly
> happy to send the password in the clear across a network to perform an LDAP
> Simple Bind? SASL is far from perfect, but I think it's also far better than
> the Simple Bind alternative.

Just in case someone miss this point.

I think it's worth to tell that we simply DO NOT have a clear text
password to use in NTLM world, so that's simply not an option for us,
not a matter of preference.

We only have an hash of a password being used in a challenge response
protocol for authentication.

If that's already known, I apologize, please ignore my email.
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399