msdfs referrals at share-level

Guenther Deschner gd at suse.de
Mon Feb 10 00:31:57 GMT 2003

hi,

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:30:21PM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Guenther Deschner wrote:
>
> > now that the msdfs-proxy is in cvs (thanks again for taking a deeper
> > look on that) i still have a small fix for the dfsenum-pipe that just prints
> > the first dfsroot and then stops. with that fix it'll show you all
> > dfsenum-infolevels.
> >
> > attached you'll find a backport of the msdfs-proxy for 2_2, maybe you
> > could have a quick look and comment on that one too.
>
> Hmmm, how is this any different from having a normal MSDFS share set up
> in Samba, say to \\server1\share1, and doing:
>
> ln -s "msdfs:server1\share2,server2\share3,..." /path/to/share1/share1
>
> Just what does this msdfs-proxy stuff do that you can't do with the
> existing code?

as far as i have understood (shirish, please correct me if i'm wrong):

the msdfs implementation in samba is close to nt4-semantics, where a
dfsroot is just a share. only in that share you can create volumes that
contain junctions to other storage locations but you cannot make a
dfs-root behave as a direct redirect itself. since dfs-volumes are
implemented as symlinks that are masqueraded as directories to the client,
you cannot just point to a "path" in a share-definition that is itself a
symlink. thus

        ln -s "msdfs:server1\\share1" /tmp/volume1

        [dfsproxy]
                path = /tmp/volume1
                msdfs root = yes

will not work without a "msdfs proxy".

bye,
guenther
Guenther Deschner                                         gd at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG                                        GnuPG: 8EE11688
Berliner Str. 27                      phone:  +49 (0) 30 / 430944778
D-13507 Berlin                           fax:  +49 (0) 30 / 43732804