Using libsmbclient

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Sun Aug 31 00:12:02 GMT 2003

Sadly, I agree with all of your points.

However, a simple expedient that would let foolhardy fools like me go ahead
and screw things up would be: link against the static library
(bin/libsmbclient.a).  That would effectively be the same as it is now, but
make is slightly simpler to link to a dynamic library if we fools decide to
do so.  ;)

Also, now that the versioning is somewhat dynamic, I suggest that more
detail be added ("CVS 3.0.0rc2" doesn't really nail it down enough), such as
a timestamp of the download or snapshot, or a SAMBA_VERSION_EDIT_LEVEL that
would be a monotonically increasing value whenever anything changes in cvs.
That could be incorporated into the library to see if things are in sync.

BTW, I do *not* suggest that this is in any way a priority for the general
community.

Ken

Ken Cross

Network Storage Solutions