Netbios Name Service

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Aug 12 18:36:34 GMT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:01:32AM +0200, volker.kielhorn at gmx.de wrote:
> Hello,
> i have a question about the Netbios Name Service (nmdb) of Samba:
> Are there any known restrictions about the number of clients which could be
> registert in WINS Service?

The NBNS data is kept in memory by nmbd.  For large sets of names on the
scale you suggest, you'll want a good-sized chunk of RAM.  Access to the
entries should be quick.  The current internal database was put together a
while back ('97?), when I was trying to get 50,000 entries into an nmbd
running on an old Sun box.  With today's processors and larger memory
space you should have no troubles.

> The background is: We want to implement a Samba-Server-Failover-Cluster for
> a huge network (10000-100000 users!!). The focus is at the Netbios Name
> Service. And only that. File- and printservices are not used.
> So, does anyone know about restrictions about the number of clients or any
> stability problems?
> Thank you.

nmbd has not been changed much at all for a long time.  It is quite
stable.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org