Future plans for next alpha release

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Sep 27 01:29:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> What should happen to features that are marked 'not required' on the
> roadmap ? Should these go into HEAD or 3_0 when they are developed? What
> about the sam system?

My opinion is that something that is not required for 3.0 to ship
should continue to be developed in HEAD.  Once it is finished,
then we will discuss whether or not it is suitable to be merged
into 3.0[.x]  If the risk assessment comes out OK, then we can look at
merging it for a 3.0.x release.  Not that code that changes the
semantics seen by an admin or user will take a lot of convincing
for me.  Internal changes for correctness are much easier to swallow.

cheers, jerry
 "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed.       ISBN 0-672-32269-2