Custom named pipes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 15 12:40:01 GMT 2002

David Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 gerryjacobs at tiscali.be wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to create a linux application which creates a named pipe on
> > which a windows machine should connect to.  I checked out the
> > smbd/nttrans.c and noticed that a static known_nt_pipes array is used.
> > This array contains all the pipe names which are created by the samba
> > server.  Is it possible to add a dynamic array in which you can add
> > custom made pipes (eg. via smb.conf)?
>
> > I can hack the code for myself. But I can hardly believe that I'm the
> > only one who need this.  The smbd process should then write the incoming
> > data from a 'Windows Named Pipe' to a 'Unix Named Pipe' or keep it
> > somewhere in a buffer file, which should be read out by a ReadNamedPipe
> > api. This ReadNamedPipe api should be located in the libsmbclient
> > library.
> >
> > or...
> >
> > am I moving too fast and is there already somewhere in the samba code an
> > api which can be called from an external program to create a (server)
> > named pipe?
>
> This sounds related to an idea which we have discussed a couple of times
> this year, but in a different context.  Namely, an smbd could have an
> associated named-pipe on UNIX, so that writes to that named-pipe would be
> translated into WinPopup messages for the client PC .

This is rather a different issue - while it's interesting to note the
comparisons, I don't see there being much in common between these two
issues.

In particular, for your implemenation, the 'server' on the unix side can
cause events.  As far as I understand it, this does not occour on
Windows Named pipes - they are standard SMB read and write requests,
just handled differently.

But yes, both of these things need to be dealt with...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net