[jcifs] Re: Sanity check.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Sep 10 16:11:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 08:08:38AM +0000, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:39:28AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > It come me to mind that recentely we changed the code to check the
> > packet is really an smb packet by checking the header field for the SMB.
> > string, so I suppose samba will not support RAW calls anymore too.
>
> Nope - not true. Raw calls are handled inside the
> reply_readbraw/reply_writebraw
> functions - the initial header is all that is needed & checked.
>
> Raw still works ok.

The "\xFFSMB" string would be in bytes 4..7.  The first four bytes (0..3)
are the message length, which should always be -le the negotiated buffer
size.  My memory of the discussion at the CIFS conference was that the
initial check simply validates the length to insure that the packet is
sane.  Checking for the "\xFFSMB" string would happen after the length
check.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org