multiple PDCs on one machine?

Don Hayward don at mote.org
Fri Oct 25 17:35:00 GMT 2002

I'm trying to set up multiple PDCs on a single machine using virtual
interfaces, after the Solaris PC Netlink model.  I'm using a Debian
woodie Linux system.

I have two copies of smbd/nmbd running, with the second on a virtual
interface and doing chroot to isolate the config files, copies of the
necessary binaries, etc.  Both the domains appear in the browse list
of a WXP system I'm using for testing.  The native domain works fine,
I can join it and log into it.

The problem is the virtual if domain can't find valid users.  The
system is on NIS, and ypmatch can find users under the same chroot as
I'm running smbd/nmbd, but when I try to open the domain from windows
I get 'You might not have permission to use this network resource' and
this in smbd.log:

[2002/10/25 17:06:26, 3, pid=13570] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1018)
  No such user nobody [] - using guest account
[2002/10/25 17:06:26, 1, pid=13570] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1052)
  Username nobody is invalid on this system

even though nobody is in the passwd file and it has been replicated
into the new root tree.

Similarly when I try to join a system to that domain, smbd.log shows:

[2002/10/24 19:06:44, 0, pid=10729]
     passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:build_sam_account(1192)
  build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username don not
     in unix passwd database!

I'd appreciate suggestions regarding how to get the smbd process find
authentic users.

Thanks.

Don Hayward			don at mote.org
Mote Marine Laboratory		Office: 941.388.4441  Cell: 941.302.4982
1600 Ken Thompson Parkway	Fax: 941.388.4312
Sarasota, FL 34236		See: http://www.mote.org
Independent, non-profit, marine and estuarine research and education facility.
For PGP public key do: http://www.mote.org/~don/donpgp.asc
use "DISCLAIMER"; # We run Linux,Apache/mod_perl/mod_ssl/eperl,Mysql,DBI/DBD
Taxes feed the starving and clothe the naked.