Running smb without nmb?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at umn.edu
Fri Oct 25 16:10:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:33:32PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> >
> > I've been known to do things the other way, with nmbd running on a system
> > that isn't running smbd.  I set nmbd to act as a WINS server and Domain
> > Master Browser to handle the namespace issues, but I don't offer any
> > file services.
>
> Doesn't that break browse sync?

It might.  I'm still digging into the inner workings of browse sync.  I've
heard (on IRC the other day) that W/9x browse sync doesn't work reliably
anyway.  I need to do a lot more digging.  Unearthing things that others
already know and have moved beyond.

Anyway, setting up without smbd works okay if you're just doing NBNS
(WINS).  I need to verify the DMB claim.

Thanks for checking.

Chris -)-----