msdfs referrals at share-level

Shirish Kalele kalele at veritas.com
Mon Oct 14 20:35:59 GMT 2002

Hi,

This is cool. Which Windows clients have you tested with?

As for the patch, it might be better if you coded this such that a
self-referral either pointed to itself, or to the proxied share. Having
something like 'msdfs proxy = server\share' in smb.conf, and sending that
whenever a self-referral was to be sent would be better than the hack you
have where you manipulate the client's requested path to become the msdfs
link to the proxy. imho, anyway. This might also make it easier to code the
NETDFS interface to this proxy stuff.

Cheers,
Shirish