debian: smbfs: support for large files (>2GB) in sid with 2.4.19

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Oct 14 00:55:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:33:45AM +0000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Both the userspace and kernel pieces of smbfs must support LFS in order
> > for you to be able to access files > 2GB.  As of Linux 2.4.19 and Samba
> > 3.0alpha20, neither has support for LFS by default: patches exist for
> > both, but they have not been included in official releases of either
> > the kernel or Samba.

> > I'm cc:ing the upstream samba-technical mailing list on my reply,
> > because I believe that this is an increasingly important requirement for
> > the smbfs userbase, and that the Samba Team should seriously consider
> > making LFS support in smbfs a goal for the Samba 3.0 release.

> The 'Samba Team' doesn't maintain smbfs, and without those changes a patch
> to smbmount doesn't make to much sense.  That said, I don't mind applying
> them - but it's not been a priority.

I see getting LFS support into the userspace tools as the first
priority.  A large number of our users compile their own kernels with
assorted patches tacked on, but very few will use anything but
precompiled packages for userspace tools like smbmount.

Also, I did misspeak in suggesting that no Linux kernels have been
released with large file support for smbfs:  AIUI, this support has been
integrated into the 2.5 kernel series.  So there are definitely
applications for an LFS-enabled smbmount today, and the number will only
increase by the time Samba 3.0 is released.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer