Commit my stuff to 3.0?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sun Oct 13 14:02:01 GMT 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 15:43, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Well, we operate in 2 fundementally different modes:  Winbind based
> users are fixed in SID, and we set the UID/GID.  Unix based users are
> fixed in uid/gid and we allocate the SID.
>
> I think this is what metze was meaning.

but it is the wrong approach imho, we should really push for winbind,
however when for any reason winbind is not available, we should still
use idmap to solve sids->uids only the admin will be forced to do the
mapping by hand with a tool like smbgroupmapping that currently we use
for groups. I really think that until the admin does not map the suers,
the unmapped uids shuld simply not be mapped, and an error sent into the
log (we may also think of an automatic mapping for NAS products, and
lazy admins ;)

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399