tracking user logins

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 27 08:42:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 20:26, Alen Kovac wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm running samba as PDC. I want to disable concurrent logins for
> users. (not to be able to login from more than one workstation at the
> same time) I haven't figured out how to disable this so I dig in to
> the samba sources.

The easiest way to do this is to ensure that people not only do a
'domain' logon, but also connect to their home directories.  Unlike
domain logons, this is a connection that must remain while a user is
active (it might idle, but it's the best that we can get).

So, implement your check as a PAM 'session' module.  Compile --with-pam,
and set 'obey pam restrictions' in your smb.conf.

This way, your users will still be able to log onto the domain, but
mapping their homedir will fail, and your users should hopefully get the
idea...  You might even be able to 'block' as an account check (and
hence the real domain logons), while 'locking' on the session.  (if that
makes any sense).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net