smbfs missing files

Jeff Ames jca at po.cwru.edu
Tue Nov 5 06:37:01 GMT 2002

I apologize in advance for the "me too!" nature of this email....

I'm having a problem with a smbmount'ed share in which I try to get a list
of all of about 19,000 directories, and then in each of these, a few
hundred files.  It seems to just not see some of the directories and some
of the files when it goes through.  I was running samba 2.2.5, but
recently upgraded to 2.2.6, though this didn't fix the problem.

This sounds like the same problem as the bug reports 21471, 21407, 21561,
and 21694 discuss, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere.  I'm just
writing to add a data point, and also to ask whether there is any known
fix or workaround for this at the time.  If this would be better submitted
as a bug report instead of this list, please let me know.

My info:
Pentium III-M 1.2 GHz
256 MB RAM (about 148 MB free generally), 512 MB swap
Gentoo linux 1.4.1.1
kernel 2.4.20-pre8 with acpi patch
samba 2.2.6

Share server:
Win2k, I forget what SP....
Athlon 1.1 GHz
512 MB RAM, I think....
Running setiathome, but otherwise not very busy.

They're connected as such: linux box to router via 10 Mbs LAN, then
NAT'ed through 100 Mbs LAN and 1 Gbs LAN to win2k box.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jeff