Problems in logging on to a samba 2.2.4 domain from Windows XP

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Nov 1 16:03:01 GMT 2002

Please post general use questions to the samba at samba.org
The samba-technical mailing is for discussions of Samba
internals and development issues.  Thanks.

cheers, jerry

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Claus Svarer wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have just received our first Windows XP machine and have joined it to
> a Samba domain (vers 2.2.4). Before doing this we were setting the
> "requiresignorseal" to "disabled" (running the .reg file). Joining it to
> the domain was done without any problems (we did create a machine
> account before doing this) and the first domain logon was also done
> without any problems. After having done a logout from the domain,
> rebooting the machine and then trying to login to the domain again an
> error message is received. The error message is "Windows cannot connect
> to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise
> unavailable or because your computer account was not found".
>
> An error message is written into the samba log file for the machine. It
> looks like:
>
> [2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)
>   Couldn't find user 'administrator' in passdb.
> [2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)
>   Couldn't find user 'administrator' in passdb.
> [2002/11/01 15:36:17, 1] smbd/reply.c:(989)
>   Rejecting user 'administrator': authentication failed
> [2002/11/01 15:36:28, 1] smbd/password.c:(545)
>
> We don't have an administrator account defined in the smbpasswd file,
> but we have a local machine account in the Windows XP machine with that
> name.
>
> Has anyone seen the same problem and found a solution for this problem?
>
> Best regards
> Claus Svarer
>
> PS We have many Windows2000 machines that uses the same Samba domain.
> They are used without any problems

- --
 Hewlett-Packard           ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
 SAMBA Team                ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
 GnuPG Key                 ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
 ISBN 0-672-32269-2        "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed