AW: read_socket_data: recv failure for 4

Russell, Toby Russell.Toby at berlindat.de
Sun Mar 3 22:16:06 GMT 2002

Thanks for replying. It seems like an old problem; I have seen many posts on
the net. I found this, which seems to apply to this particular problem (from
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2000-November/009801.html):

"Every so often these days (circa win98, win2k), we see error messages
like the following showing up in the logs:
	[2000/09/08 18:06:24, 0]
	 /usr/ports/net/samba/work/samba-2.0.6/source/lib/util_s
	 ock.c:write_socket_data(537)
	 write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
or
	[2000/10/05 11:08:16, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(477)
	 read_socket_data: recv failure for 1252. Error = Connection reset
	 by peer

  These are unexpected client disconnections, as seen by Samba.
Interestingly, they can also cause the client to report "The network is
busy" while trying to (re-)map the file.

  If you happen to be using security = server, the Samba messages
can be eliminated by setting keepalive = 0.  If you are using any
other security setting, use keepalive = 30 to tell Samba to
clean up more often (this won't reduce the messages, though!)

  They usually indicates an error by the client, which caused
it to
	1) blue screen
	2) reboot
	3) silently disconect and reconnect.

  The latter is the annoying one...

  The usual cause is a networking problem.  What the team's seen
a lot lately are bad drivers for ethernet cards (especially on
Windows ME) or mismatches between ethernet cards and hubs.

  Both ends of each connection between a hub and a machine must
be running at the same speed, either 10 or 100 Mbit/S and at the
same duplex setting (half- or full-duplex, sometimes called simplex
and duplex)."

I have changed the keepalive setting and am waiting to see if this will fix
it.

Toby Russell
(Applications Providing/UNIX)

Telefon          +49 (0) 30 72 62 3- 6669
Telefax          +49 (0) 30 72 62 3- 6689
Mobil             +49 (0) 172 6847428
E-Mail            Russell.Toby at berlindat.de
Internet          www.BerlinDat:de

BerlinDat
Gesellschaft für Informationsverarbeitung und Systemtechnik mbH
Rohrdamm 7
13629 Berlin