[Samba] Strange crashes and disconnection from PDC?

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Mon Jul 29 12:00:03 GMT 2002

Maybe the core dump is done by the OS by default when the SIGSEGV signal is
not handled by the process. Because Samba handles the signal to do the panic
action, the system doesn't fall into the core dumping routine. Perhaps if,
at the end of the exit routine, Samba dropped the handler for the SIGSEGV
signal handler, and re-sent the same signal to itself, the core file would
be dumped after the exit.

To set the core file size, use "ulimit -c size". Read it with "ulimit -c".
Setting it to zero prevents core dumps. Note that I don't get core dumps
from Samba, but I do from other programs, so this is probably not the issue.