GPL licensing issues

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Jul 18 07:58:01 GMT 2002

    I'm probably now going to rewrite my module to be PHP4-licensed and to
    communicate with an external (GPLed) daemon that uses libsmbclient.

This might or might not comply with the GPL, depending on whether your
PHP4-licensed module and the demon are two separate programs, or one
combined program.  It is hard to be sure what copyright law implies
about that question.

I think that if the protocol used between the two modules is a
general-purpose one, then they are two separate programs and the GPL
is not violated.  Otherwise this combination is not allowed.
However, you might want to ask the Samba developers what they think
about the matter.