UTF-8 and LDAP

Juergen Hasch Hasch at t-online.de
Thu Feb 28 13:51:03 GMT 2002

Am Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2002 22:04 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:

> One final question.  Where is it stated that LDAP must be UTF8?
>
> I'm just a bit worried that it might not be fixed in stone.
>
> (in which case we get a 'ldap charset' as well).

It's written in RFC2252 and RFC2253 (which applies to
LDAP V3). Looking at Google I also find the following on
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/ldap/models/v3.html :

"Internationalization is addressed via an international character set (ISO
10646) to represent protocol elements that are strings (such as DNs). Version
3 also differs from version 2 in that it uses UTF-8 to encode its strings."

...Juergen