Status of NetApp joining Samba PDC

Sean E. Millichamp sean at compu-aid.com
Wed Feb 20 15:05:05 GMT 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Lars-Gunnar Persson wrote:

> I've just a small question: What's the status of the situation where a
> NetApp trying to connect to a Samba PDC?
>
> We've a Dell PowerEdge with RedHat Linux 7.2 and Samba 2.2.2a acting as a
> PDC for our local Windows network. I've not managed to be able to join this
> domain from a NetApp F85 with OS NetApp Release 6.1.1R2.
>
> Has someone else managed to do this? If so, can you please send me a short
> guide on how to do it?

I tried a number of times to make this work with approximately the same
release of the NetApp OS.  I never did make it work.

I had some conversations with Samba team members and someone from NetApp
and sent some detailed logs of the domain join attempt, but never got any
resolution to the problem and then it became a non-issue so I stopped
pursuing it.

I believe there is a subtle incompatibility between the way Samba and the
NetApp handle domain joins but have no proof as I don't know enough to
decipher the on-the-wire transaction.

Good luck.

Sean

--
 Sean E. Millichamp, Consultant
 Ingematics - A Division of Compu-Aid, Inc.