Browsing Elections and the 'os level' parameter

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Feb 18 05:35:07 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> These are the values I recall seeing, and this makes sense according to
> the browsing docs that MS provided that I saw. I think some of this is
> in the CIFS doc now.
>
> Of course, since I originally wrote the code in Ethereal that dissected
> these things, you might want to use another monitor tool to cross check :-)

> >One thing to go along with this: it seems that Windows and
> >Samba both compare the OS Type values as integers rather than
> >bits,

	Erk!
	Which explains how the other bits affect
	the behavior so oddly.

	This was a subject of some debate back when the
	book was first written:

> >         so an "os level" of 33 for Samba will beat a Windows
> >system having an OS Type of 32, even though ethereal reports an
> >value of 33 as a system that is both Windows NT Server and
> >Windows for Workgroups (i.e., 32 anded with 1).  In other words,
> >it is not necessary to use the next bit over (64, or even 65 ;)
> >to win against any Windows PDC.

> >I think it would be a good idea to get the OS Type values clear
> >and document them so that the users will know exactly how to
> >get Samba to beat or lose elections against specific Windows
> >versions.

	Strongly agreed!

--dave
Performance & Engineering      | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering, |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com