winbindd_idmap.tdb recovery

Michael Steffens michael_steffens at hp.com
Tue Feb 5 06:05:39 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm a bit concerned about how to recover winbindd_idmap.tdb,
in case it should ever be trashed, for whichever reason.

Are there any recommended or proposed ways for doing this?

What I'm dreaming of is a way of creating a plain text dump
of this file, which can be backed up and be used for repairing
winbindd_idmap.tdb in case of desaster.

Even better if winbindd could also log all newly created mappings
in the same plain text format into an ID mapping log.

Using plain text for this purpose would have the advantage
that merging, checking consistency, applying corrections, or
chown'ing through the file system, could be done with standard
Unix methods and adjusted to what has actually happened.

Cheers!
Michael