smbwall

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Sat Feb 2 22:43:02 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> writes:

[...]

> Even if ptys are allocated, I am very much of the view that this is
> best done outside samba, because it is something that *will* need
> customization for every site - unlike utmp, where the OS dictates
> the 'norms' this is much more a 'how do I want to set up my system'
> thing.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but isn't the customization that would be
required to allocate ptys already done in the password changing code?

[...]

> If 'write' and 'wall' functionality is desired, I think that some
> kind of daemon listening on these 'terminals' (actually pipes in a
> dir) is the desirable solution.

Do you (or anybody) know how portable having pipes instead of ptys in
utmp would be?  It did work on the Linux system I tried it on, but I
haven't had a chance to try it out on other systems.  I'm not aware of
any other widely used software that does this, though...

Also, hasn't the Samba Team expressed a reluctance to have samba going
around creating things in /dev?  I seem to remember this, although
looking around I can't find any messages to reference.

-----ScottG.