Use less 'magic' environment variables

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Fri Aug 16 12:54:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:24:43PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> This patch removes WINBINDD_DOMAIN, and some of the misguided (and
> fruitless) attempts to prevent winbind from calling smbd recursivly.  (I
> fixed that the 'proper' way, and the worst case is a pipe timeout of 30
> sec, not a lockup).
>
> (For reference, WINBINDD_DOMAIN allows the user to specify what domains
> winbind will return entries in - instead of all trusted domains)

You haven't replaced it with anything.  I think being able to exclude
domains is useful, especially if you are in a large network of trusted
domains and for some reason aren't interested in other remote domains.

> This does not remove the _NO_WINBIND variable (yet), but I'm looking at
> a 'getpid()' based replacement to prevent recursion and lockups on that
> one.

This is also useful, especially for debugging after you have locked up
your system with winbindd and have to run 'killall -9 winbindd'.  (-:

> So, what do people think?  (Naturally, I'll also remove the manpage
> reference in a final patch).

As I mentioned I think the functionality should stay, even if it isn't
implemented using environment variables.

Tim.