Samba 2.2.3a on Solaris 8

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Apr 18 11:41:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:40:13AM +1000, Wade Turland wrote:
> Tridge found the (already noted) related bug on our system and conceded it
> was a design flaw. Apparently each new smbd process that starts, does a
> quick traversal of the tdb databases to clean out any stale entries, and on
> Solaris, these are taking too long. Now when the client times out, it makes
> another attempt, but the first attempt is still running so it bogs the
> system down quickly. This was first found in the UK in 2.2.2 with
> connections.tdb.
>
> It sounds like Mark has our problem, with byte-range locking (brlock.tdb).
> If you try the latest CVS it should be fixed.
>
> Andrew said he would look at all the others too and fix them. Andy, maybe
> you can help with printing.tdb otherwise keep checking the CVS.

Ok - discussed this with Andrew last night. It seems that this is only
a problem on Solaris. Solaris seems to have *serious* issues with fcntl
locks with multiple processes contending for locks. No other system we
run on seems to have this problem (they have their own problems :-).

Dave CB - can you investigate this within Sun please. This is a *critical*
part of Samba, we may have to look into a solaris-specific workaround and
this would be bad.

Jeremy.