Bad file desriptors with SuSE-7.3 / samba-2.2.3a

wolfgang.glas at ev-i.at wolfgang.glas at ev-i.at
Mon Apr 8 05:51:02 GMT 2002

Dear samba team,

We have and IBM xSeries RAID5 system running under Suse-7.3 using
kernel-2.4.16 (SuSE's kernel upgrade) with a Netgear GA621 1Gbit/s
fiberchannel network adapter.
First we start using samba-2.2.1a from the SuSE distro and we recently
switched to a self-compiled samba-2.2.3a.

Neither uprgrading the kernel from 2.4.10 to 2.4.16 nor upgrading samab
from 2.2.1a to 2.2.3a resolved the described poblem:

If I switch on oplocks plus kernel oplocks, we have the following two
errors in log.smb:

[2002/03/22 08:10:40, 0]
smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_release_kernel_oplock(209)
  release_kernel_oplock: Error when removing kernel oplock on file
feap/Prinz_Eugen_Bruecke/Stat_Plaene/7508__Planuebersicht.xls, de
v = 3a05, inode = 4800612, file_id = 161. Error was Bad file descriptor

[2002/04/08 13:49:36, 0] smbd/fileio.c:seek_file(53)
  seek_file: sys_lseek failed. Error was Bad file descriptor

These error occur randomly and seem to lightly related to the network
traffic. Our machine is primarily a file server with a low CPU load and a
file cache of about 800MB.
(Physical memory is 1 GByte)

After switching off oplocks, which was necessary due to the file
corruptions we got, the oplock error naturally disappears, but the
lseek-related error resides.
Supposedly, oplocks are not the direct cause of the problem, but the wrong
file descriptors passed to the system calls.

With an even lower frequency it appears, that the content of a file is
written to another file that was opened by the same smbd process.
(Maybe filling log.smbd with garbage or overwriting another file of the
same user...)

BTW, I've confirmed, that the correct compile time options

-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE

are in samba-2.2.3a/source/Makefile in order to have off_t a 64 bit type
and have lseek redirected to lseek64...

I do not want to make speculations about the cause of the problem, but
somehow there might be a buffer overflow or something like this,
which overwrites the file descriptor stored by smbd and causes the above
mentioned problems.

Please give me any kind of advice, whether such a problem is a know bug
and will be addressed by samba-2.2.4.

    Regards,

     Wolfgang

--
Dr. Wolfgang Glas                        EV-i Informationstechnologie
GmbH.