Guest account????

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Sep 13 12:28:03 GMT 2001

You didn't say what version of Samba you had before. My
gue4ss is that is was 2.0.x or before. Please check out
What's new file when you upgrade. The default setting for
"security="  changed. Since you did not specify this
in you smb.conf, you probably were running security=share
before and now you are running security=user.

Karyn Joseph wrote:

> Hi --
>
> 1.  Before I upgraded to version 2.2.1 my users were
> able to access the server without entering a
> password.  They only had to enter their password
> whenever they tried to access the share.  Just
> like connecting to any other NT server.  Now
> when someone connects to \\servername they are
> immediately prompted for a password.  Any ideas?
>
> 2.  Another closely related issue (I think) is
> that my customers also used to be able to access
> a certain share that has "guest allow = Yes"
> without passing.  Now it asks for a password.
>
> Here are my [Global] and guest share entries:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = DOMAIN
>         netbios name = NAME
>         server string = Samba %v on (%L)
>         min passwd length = 6
>         log level = 1
>         log file = /net/adm/samba/samba.log.%L
>         local master = No
>         wins server = 131.101.208.195
>         homedir map = u_auto
>         NIS homedir = Yes
>         hosts allow = ###.###.
>
> [wirelist]
>         comment = Xwire directory
>         path = /net/wirelist
>         read only = No
>         writeable = Yes
>         create mask = 0664
>         guest ok = Yes
>         guest only = Yes
>
> --
> Karyn Joseph                   EIT - Agoura, CA
> UNIX Administrator             818/874-6116

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177