[IDEA+RFC] Command line util for modifying services

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Sat Sep 8 21:21:05 GMT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, David Armstrong wrote:

> I have started looking at the way SWAT adds and modifies Samba
> services, and believe that I could use the same library of functions
> from a command line program.  But, before I start hacking code on
> this, please let me know your opinions/thoughts on this.  Please cc me
> on replies.

Ummm....Couple of issues, if you have a cgi-script running as a
non-root user (i hope so :) ) you may have a hard time updating
smb.conf.

Modifying smb.conf is reall rather trivial.  See the
examples/misc/modify_samba_config.pl perl script
for a quick and dirty means of adding/deleting shares
to the config file.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org