[jlemon@flugsvamp.com: Re: Fw: Re: Implemented OPLOCK for FreeBsd]

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Sat Sep 8 19:05:01 GMT 2001

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> the Linux API does support level2, but right now the Samba code
> doesn't take advantage of that.

Ah yes....that's what I was remembering...

> Before changing that what we really need is a good oplock test suite.
> We really have no way of validating our oplock code at the moment, so
> I'm reluctant to make changes before we are able to do that properly.
>
> I did start on a oplock testsuite in smbtorture, but it is woefully
> inadequate at the moment. We will need some sort of state machine and
> a dual server test to validate our behaviour against NT.

Makes sense.  Just curious, what was the reason for leaving out
level2 oplock support in Samba (wrt to the kernel oplocks)?

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org