using winbind with Windows 2000 native mode

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 01:52:02 GMT 2001

Just an FYI - in Win2K native-mode domains, Win2K machines get this
information from the PAC in the Kerberos ticket, which has some interesting
implications considering that PAC will live for 8 hours, and group
memberships may change more frequently than that. I don't know if the PDC
will re-issue a newer pack on an AS_REP, but even if it does, imagine this:

net use \\softwareserver
<AS_REP for server>
<error - must be in group such-and-such>
<browse to internal website, pay for software using credit card, groups
updated dynamically>
net use \\softwareserver
<use cached ticket>
<error - must be in group such-and-such>

...which means you have to logon and logoff.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers                              |
| Network & Infrastructure Group           |
| Information & Communication Technologies |
| Imperial College                         |