naming of po files

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Mon Oct 15 05:38:02 GMT 2001

> I have to make a closer look at the new i18n code. Andrew, which files
> _exactly_ are the source code ?

The new code is in intl/lang_tdb.c and include/intl.h

It's *very* simple now, much simpler than GNU gettext. It doesn't have
as many features, but we weren't using the features that we have lost
(as far as I could see).

The big win is that you don't need to compile the msg files. They are
parsed at runtime, so to add a lang just add a msg file to the lib/
directory and it gets used automatically. It will auto-reparse it if
the file is edited.

btw, I've just deleted the old gettext code in CVS. It's a bit cleaner
now.

Cheers, Tridge