strange message in log file and files automaticaly closed

Andreas Moroder andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Thu Nov 22 22:28:31 GMT 2001

Hello Andrew,

does windows upper case only with plaintext passwords ?
( reading man smb.conf it seems so ).

At the moment we knwo all the users have ( or should at last ) all lower case
password. Is there a way to force smbd to try with lowercase first ? I know
that password level=0 will try this a second, but the first try will fail, and
it seems that the authentication problem is the source for the other trouble I
told you we have.

Thank you very much

Andreas