Help me please!

Mike Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Thu Nov 15 06:49:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 04:37, patima kanthong wrote:
> Hello  Samba Team
>        Now I study Information Technology at King
> Mongkut University of Technology Thonburi <In bangkok
> ,Thailand>.My project is control printer with samba
> server. I would like you to help me ,please. I would
> like to know about samba.  How many module of samba?
> How work of each module  samba?  Because I must be
> doing project finish about samba server and next 7
> days I will send my project. I do my project concern
> with server and I use samba for server. The project
> that develop the samba and add some function such as
> keep statistics for each user that order to print ,
> billing for each user etc. I would like to know what
> is the module that the function of my project suit
> for?
>
> Thank you for your attention.
> <I would like to appologize because I am not good in
> english language>
>
> I look forward to receive your e-mail as soon as
> possible. Good Bye.

Universities commonly use LPRng with ifhp (from http://www.astart.com)
to do print accounting (if HP network printers are used). Samba can act
as a gateway between windows and LPRng.

Page counting is quite difficult without proper support from the
printer.  Newer HP printers with Jetdirect cards seem to do OK, but
others will vary.  Another approach (I have not tried this) is have
ghostscript pass each job through the null display engine for the
purpsoe of counting pages.  This assumes that all print jobs are
postscript, which is probably a bad assumption.

Even for people with significant system administration experience, the
project that you mention is more than a 7 day project if you have to
support any printers that don't report page counts reliably.

Mike