Samba and PAM

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Fri Mar 30 07:08:55 GMT 2001

Eric Reischer wrote:

> I've been trying to get samba to authenticate against PAM for a couple days
> now, but unfortunately have not been successful.  I am using the 2.2alpha3
> version (freshly compiled) on a Debian Linux 2.2 machine.  I specified
> --with-pam at configure time, but when I try to connect to a shared
> service, I get invalid password.  It checks (in order):

If I don't misunderstand the question, perhaps if you are using an
external module (kerberos) to authenticate the login from a smb session,
you might use plain passwords, because to the pam API the smb client
provides a LM password (a MD4 digest)... what kerberos does with a
passwd digest?

Ignacio
Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/