WINS and international netbios names

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Fri Mar 30 00:22:17 GMT 2001

Christopher R. Hertel writes:

> > There's lots of information on the web which says "don't do that"
> > as netbios names should be able to be resolved as dns names.  DNS
> > names are only allowed a range of 7-bit ascii characters.
>
> That's not true, I am afraid, for a variety of reasons.

[stuff deleted]

> So...  Most likey what you are seeing is a character set conversion
> problem or a bug in either Microsoft's WINS or our NBNS (which are you
> testing against?).

Well I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the NT WINS server.  I can
watch the WINS request for machine A be sent to machine A (it's
also the WINS server) and the response comes back negative!!!

I was curious if anyone else had seen this problem and whether
there was a workaround.

PS: What's NBNS?

Tim.