directory listing bug in samba ?

Dr.Matthias Schlett M.Schlett at fz-rossendorf.de
Mon Mar 12 16:09:21 GMT 2001

Last week I sent a mail to samba at lists.samba.org about GFS and samba,
but no answer yet from the samba team. Now I report the situation again:
One of my file servers participates in a GFS filesystem. Samba shows in
every directory of GFS a directory .. which expands to the parent
directory tree. The GFS team says that this must be a bug in Samba:

<A HREF="mailto:conrad at sistina.com">conrad at sistina.com</A> wrote :

What is probably happening is that samba is making incorrect assumptions
about the way that the filesystem returns directory listings.  My guess
is that samba is assuming that the dir entry .. is the second item in
the directory, which is not nessacarily true.

Regards
ms961