Slow write performance with Win 98 and Samba (fwd)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Jun 21 17:44:38 GMT 2001

> There is a way to work around the delayed tcp ack problem.  Send a
> SMBkeepalive packet to the client whenever there is a short write to the
> server.  It is not a pretty fix, but it makes Windows happy and solves
> this problem (this assumes you cannot turn off delayed ack on the OS).

We need to keep this in mind if the delayed-ack turns out to be the
entire problem.  I believe that it is a major part of the problem, and
the Sun folk should get a lot of credit for helping out on this.

Still, I'm confused by the fact that security=user does not cause this
situation to occur.

Chris -)-----