large file support > 2 gig

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Jun 12 17:24:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Chad wrote:

> Samba version 2.2.0-alpha3, compiled from the src.rpm with the following
> options in the Makefile.  The CFLAGS did not have -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> after I ran configure, but someone on this list suggested I needed to add
> this for large file support.
>
> CFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O
> CPPFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE

2.2.0 should detect that you have a recent enough glibc and kernel, and
enable LFS in samba. That works fine for me with samba as a server, and I
think it was ok as a client too.

I'm not sure those defines are not enough. Look at
source/include/includes.h, it checks for HAVE_EXPLICIT_LARGEFILE_SUPPORT
which is only set by ./configure if it thinks LFS is ok.

./configure should say something like:
checking if large file support can be enabled ... yes
and if it doesn't there is something else wrong, that needs fixing. But
you shouldn't have to hack the Makefile to get it to work.

I think 2.2.0-alpha3 is your problem. But I don't have it around anymore
so I can check if the LFS detection on Linux was fixed for that version or
the final. Check if your ./configure contains:
"Tests for linux LFS support."

/Urban