Having Trouble With Gnome With A Samba Mounted home Directory

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Feb 16 14:35:38 GMT 2001

This is really a weird idea.
Samba shared filesystems does not provide all the things a true unix file
system or nfs provide.
And about the security:
the first thing a user that gain a root chell will do is to change some
executables to get the other users passwords if needed: fake login, fake
telnet, fake ssh, fake samba.
Enforce single workstation security it is abetter effort and make daily
backups so that user may recover data if needed.

just my 2 eurocents.
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Linux Systems Consultant
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel: +39 0348 7149179 - Fax: +39 02 700442399