Smbmount broken?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Dec 17 01:13:09 GMT 2001

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Vance Lankhaar wrote:

> Hi
>
> So, I decided to try out 3.0alpha8. It appears that smbmount is broken. :(

Haven't tested 3.0 yet, but given that it was broken in the 2.2 branch I'm
not surprised. Stay tuned.

> Also, while trying to see what was going wrong, I stumbled across another
> oddity. I am able to mount a share more than once to the same place, and it
> still works. When I mount a different share to the same place at the same
> time, that directory disappears from the filesystem. As soon as I unmount the
> different share, I am able to access the mount point again, with the first
> share's data.

The kernel allows mounting the same remote dir to the same local dir
multiple times. The same is true for nfs and others.

Not sure I understand what you mean by disappear, but it is of course
legal to mount something else on top and that hides the smbfs mount(s). Or
does the mountpoint itself disappear? That could be a smbfs bug.

/Urban