Client for Samba Networks

Sean Elble S_Elble at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 19:58:01 GMT 2001

The only problem with this idea is that it takes away from the point of what
Samba is: a piece of software that makes a UNIX system look like a regular
Windows NT/2000 server to a Windows client. If this were back in the day
when things like Pathworks, Banyan, and LANtastic were still big, then it
wouldn't be such a bad idea; all of those systems were, at least in part,
based upon SMB. However, today, it is a different story: Samba was designed
to ease the addition of a UNIX server in a Windows environment, especially
when a Windows NT/2000 domain/AD structure is already in place. If you are
setting up a network that consists solely of Samba servers, the idea is
better, but that still leaves you with the hassle of dealing with the
installation of a new network client, whereas the Client For Microsoft
Networks is pre-installed in every Windows version.

And, when you consider the time that has already been making Samba appear to
be a Windows NT/2000 server, and support all the RPCs and everything else,
it would really be a waste to abandon that in favor of creating your own
system. I really don't think it's a bad idea; in fact, I like it a lot.
Unfortunately, it's just not practical today, because of all the work that
has gone into making Samba what it is. Hope that helps.

Sean P. Elble
Editor, Writer, Co-Webmaster
ReactiveLinux.com (Formerly MaximumLinux.org)
http://www.reactivelinux.com/
elbles at reactivelinux.com