request for projects ideas for volunteers

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Sep 28 19:37:52 GMT 2000

:
>   This is probably at the top of my list.  (For those who
>   missed it, jCIFS is a Java client for CIFS/SMB.)
>
>         Some more (technical) details ?
>
>         Rafa_

See http://jcifs.samba.org/

The basic idea is to build a set of Java classes that implement NBT, SMB,
and related protocols.  A side goal is to write parallel documentation
that explains the workings of the CIFS suite.

The plan is to create a library of Java code that can be used to build
clients, servers, and tools.  Because of the mechanics of Java, and
following some discussion with various folks 'round the web (including a
visit to the FSF's Java pages) we've chosen to write the code from scratch
and use the LGPL.

Chris -)-----