2.2 wishlist (was: new messaging system)

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 09:10:46 GMT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Matthew Geddes wrote:

> P.S. Is there a wishlist of goals to achieve for 2.2? Things like DC and
> LDAP support.

If there is then it is pretty well hidden. :-)

I appreciate that "the team" are very busy people, but I can't help
feeling that channels of communication between the core developers and
the user population haven't been very effective, recently.

A technical roadmap would be good. Even a very broad, few paragraphs,
outline of where the project is going would be useful - if, for example,
someone were to update the brief "Roadmap" file in the distribution and
commit it back to HEAD, or write a rough draft of "WHATSNEW.txt" for 2.2
and/or HEAD (just the opening paragraphs that say what new facilities
and parameters have been added, not necessarily the blow-by-blow bug fix
logs).

FWIW, my own major "wishlist" item is some sort of domain login
capability for W2K clients. When I enquired about this on the Samba list
last month Gerry said "[this] is a slight possibility ... as someone has
volunteered to work on it" but I haven't heard anything further. I
wouldn't claim to be an ace developer, but I can read/debug C, I am a
sysadmin with five or six years Samba experience and I'm really keen to
help out, if there is *anything* I can do ...

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology