A patch to configure to include --with-pam on Linux systems

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Nov 12 16:01:47 GMT 2000

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Instead of your patch that just forcibly enables PAM on Linux I think
> we should instead write a runtime test to see whether the system has
> PAM enabled for the "samba" service. If we can do PAM calls that can

Kinda like a "chicken before the egg" test, isn't it?  If you are
installing for the first time, none of the PAM files will be installed
for SAMBA.

To make matters worst, Solaris and HP-UX (which do support PAM)
use the older /etc/pam.conf file, and the default behavior is to
provide password support for all unknown services (that is, the
opposite of many Linux distributions, but I think they did the
right thing...)

FWIW, for CUPS we enable PAM by default when it is available.  It
doesn't seem to cause too many problems - the main issue is whether
you are using SuSE or another distribution which affects which DSOs
to reference in your PAM configuration file.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com