Samba in an HA environment

Stephan Lauffer lauffer at ph-freiburg.de
Tue May 30 14:46:20 GMT 2000

Hi all!

> HA partner). Each instance of nmbd/smbd should bind only to the IP
> addresses of the virtual host they represent; see the 'interfaces' and
> 'bind interfaces only' configuration parameters in smb.conf(5). This
> means that you must be using the HA model whereby a one host takes over
> a disabled host's IP addresses and services.
By the way... there´s an uggly, little bug in nmbd_nameregister.c
So it could be a very bad idea to use "bind interfaces = true" and "interfaces =..."

For example this bug will happen, if you´re using samba as dmb and if samba
has to register his ip(s) on another wins-server.
---
interfaces = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/netmask 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces = true
domain master = true
wins server = eee.fff.ggg.hhh
---
(The localhost is necessary to allow password changes on the samba server)

>From now on, the complete browsing in the domain sucks down...
( 1st: Samba will be rejected to add his ips on the wins server, because nmbd
       is trying to register localhost!!!!!
  2nd: Samba will not become a dmb
  3rd: all LMBs could not sync their list with the dmb
  and so on...
)

If someone is interested in more (and closer detailed) informations, just feel free to
connect me via mail. I could offer some logfiles and for some hacker it
would be possible to get an account on a testmachine in our network.

(sorry for the bad english - maybe it´s funny... ;) )

Liebe Gruesse, yours
Stephan Lauffer

[ Paedagogische Hochschule Freiburg - Systemtechnik - Germany    ]
[ Abteilung ZIK: <a href="http://www.ph-freiburg.de/zik">WWW</a> ]
[ Tel.: 0761 - 682 459                    Mobil: 0172 - 7145 197 ]