samba and inetd problems

Ron Alexander rcalex at home.com
Sat May 20 15:31:35 GMT 2000

Here is the snippet of code from the smbd pgm that shows that the pid file
is NOT created if the process is not the daemon. Only the first invocation
of smbd is the daemon and creates the pid file, all it's children are not
daemon.

  if (is_daemon) {
    pidfile_create("smbd");
  }

I now know that when a copy of smbd is started via inetd, the check for a
socket on fd[0] fails. As soon as the stcp guys find and fix that bug, I
assume this problem will go away.

Ron