Working on LDAP support in HEAD

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Sat May 13 08:26:07 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Ignacio Coupeau wrote:
> >

> > I tested it, and as Inge-Håvard says, the roaming
> > profiles can be copied to different users; the re-added
> > users can use the roaming profile, so the RID can
> > change without damage the profile... Also, you can
> > add/delete Ws accounts and the profiles and policies
> > may be reused. So, I think the incremental RID can
> > work at this moment (until TNG runs and so).
>
> How is the user getting his or her initial profile?

for example, the directory/subdirectory permisions:
drwxr-xr-x  32 root     root         1024 Feb 24 18:48 profiles
drwxr-xr-x  12 prn1     prn1         1024 Oct  4  1999 profiles/prn1
drwxr-xr-x  12 prn2     prn2         1024 Sep 10  1999 profiles/prn2
--
smb.conf:

[profiles]
path = /usr/local/etc/samba/profiles
writeable = no
guest ok = yes
browseable = yes
create mode = 0777
--
and in the ldap:

samba-search "uid=037148*":
dn: uid=037148, o=SMB-Universidad de Navarra, c=ES
objectclass: sambaAccount
uid: 037148
ntuid: 037148
rid: 3ec
uidnumber: 17603
profile: \\%L\profiles\prn1
homedrive: U:
gidnumber: 201
grouprid: 202

at this moment for example, here, all the students are using only two
profiles (prn1 and prn2) to distribute printer load; of course, the
profiles are different for different classrooms, but any student can log
with the generic/mandatory profile. If the network is slow but the user
is ok,  the local profile "default user"  is used.

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/