NWFS mangled name algorithm.

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Wed Mar 29 17:39:31 GMT 2000

Hi John,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:28:23PM +1000, John E. Malmberg wrote:
[...]
> > AFAIK ntfs is the other way round: You normaly have long
> > names and the short names are just an "attribute" (the ntfs
> > filesystem in Linux can present them as hardlinks. Oh: and
> > ntfs also has hardlinks on its own, which nobody tells you
> > loudly.).
>
> The one type of hardlinks that I know about, CHKDSK will remove, as it
> considers them an error.

You can have "fake" hardlinks on (v)fat, but these are
illegal, and chkdsk will remove them.

ntfs on the other hand supports real hardlinks (they added
them to satisfy unix95 or posix or whatever) I've to say, I
never tried them, but I remember a "ln" was in ntreskit,
I'll maybe look at it.

    Elrond