ACL / SDs

Bob Mastors bob.mastors at crosstor.com
Wed Feb 23 20:33:05 GMT 2000

> AFAIK:
>
> No, for actual access-checking, _all_ ACEs are checked.
>
> If you have this:
> ALLOW all
> DENY  all
> you end up effectively with
> DENY  all
>
> the order isn't important and there is no "short-circuit".
This does not appear to be a true statement for NT.
>From the MSDN Library (Jan 2000):
    When a process tries to access a securable object,
    the system steps through the ACEs in the object's DACL
    until it finds ACEs that allow or deny the requested access.
    The access rights that a DACL allows a user could vary depending
    on the order of ACEs in the DACL.

> I don't know about the MAXIMUM_ALLOWED thing.
I don't either.

Bob